Chapter 13 - The Accident

Brianna turned back to face Laurie and cleared her throat. "I don't care what you say Laurie, I'm going to report Kerr Industries."

"Report it for what?" Laurie demanded impatiently. 

"Tax evasion - I've got proof," Brianna said as she dangled a USB stick in front of her. Laurie quickly snatched the USB stick, plugged it into his computer began to scan the screen, his expression growing grim. 



"Please tell me you haven't shown this to anyone yet," Laurie hissed. 

"Good night guys," Eric called from the doorway with Kiara right behind him. When he caught a glimpse of Laurie's gloomy face, Eric stopped in his tracks and entered Laurie's office. "What's wrong?"



Brianna snickered as Laurie debated or not whether he should tell Eric. "Nothing," Laurie said as Eric came around to check out what Laurie was looking at on his computer screen. 

"What the hell is this," Eric shouted at Laurie. 



Laurie sputtered in frustration. "Bri found this! Honestly, it's probably a forged document." 

Brianna let out a loud, scornful laugh. "Trust me boys, that document is not fake. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way to the prosecutor's office." 



Laurie and Eric ran to block the doorway and glared at Brianna. "Okay, we hear you loud and clear. What do you want?" Eric spat.



With a smile plastered on her face, Brianna said, "I want us to get back together, Laurie."



"What?!" Laurie burst out. "Are you out of your fucking mind? You've literally come to my office to threaten me after I've just told you that I've been using you so your firm will defend Kerr Industries."



"But... I love you," Brianna whispered. 

"You don't love me and you know it. I don't know what sort of fucked up image you've got going on in your head, but there is no way in hell I'd ever be with a psycho bitch like you ever again." 



Eric and Kiara stood watching awkwardly, both wishing more than anything that they were anywhere else but there in that moment. 

Instead of retreating like a normal person, Brianna started to inch closer to Laurie, reaching for his arms. "Can't we just put all this behind us and go back to the good old days?"

"No, get the hell away from me," Laurie shouted as he shoved Brianna away.



Brianna tripped over her feet as she tumbled backwards and began to fall to the ground, but not before she hit her head on the corner of Laurie's desk. Brianna slid onto the ground like a dead fish and it wasn't long before a pool of blood started to form beneath her head.   



Kiara screamed. 

"God dammit!" Laurie yelled in hysterics. "I didn't mean to push her - fuck, fuck, FUCK!"

"Stay calm everyone, it was an accident," Eric commanded as he pushed the chair aside. "Kiara, call the ambulance. I'm going to try and stop the bleeding."

Along with with the paramedics, a police officer showed up to ask some questions. The rest of the night went by in a blur. 





--- the next day ---


James sat by the hospital bed with his gaze intently fixed on Brianna's face. The bandage wrapped around Brianna's head somewhat resembled a halo - to those that didn't know her, one might almost think that there was an angel lying in the bed. 

"What do you see in her?" Kiara blurted out. Apart from Brianna, she and James were the only ones in the room. The others had all gone out to grab a coffee.



A wave of nostalgia rushed over James' face and he began to chuckle. "I know she can be a little bit crazy... But she wasn't always like this you know. I met Brianna through a debating competition back in high school. I was a total nerd and she was this amazing, cool girl who stuck up for me when a bunch of people were giving me shit for stumbling over my words during my speech. And ever since then she has always been there for me. She's the one that suggested that I go and see someone about my drinking problems and stress... When I introduced her to Laurie, I feel like he somehow brought out the worst in her. But I know that beneath all of the crazy shit, there's still that sweet, caring girl I met back in school..."  

Kiara smiled and tried to process what James had just said. Brianna being a sweet and caring person? No way. 



With a rustle of the stiff hospital sheets, Brianna began to open her eyes. When she regained consciousness, she was met with chills running down her spine. She felt cold, disorientated and drowsy. The room was blurry but Brianna was certain that she wasn't in her own house. As the room started to come into focus, Brianna started to panic - why was she in the hospital? She began to feel a dull pain emerging from the back of her head.

"Brianna!" James exclaimed. Right on cue, the rest of the circle entered the room.

"Hey everyone... What happened?" Brianna croaked. 

"What do you mean? You don't remember?" asked James. 

"No - why am I in the hospital?" Brianna said deliriously. Her eyes began to droop and she became unconscious once again.



Everyone gasped in union. Did Brianna really forget what had happened? What else could she have possibly forgotten? 



Comments

  1. So juicy!
    Can't wait for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how to get notified when you've updated the story? I cannot wait to read the next one 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sign up for email notifications! Go to the homepage, click on the three lines in the top left hand corner and there should be a box that says 'follow by email'.

      Glad you are enjoying the story!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts